Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Books for your little love bug!

 Well, it seems as though we are going to be snowed in again today! We have been busy making Valentines for family members which has left Miss G with bright pink fingers. So much for washable ink!
I wanted to share a couple of my favorite Valentine's Day books. There are tons-but for the sake of having somewhere to start and not becoming totally engrossed with blogging when I should be momming, I am going to share just a few!

The Valentine Bears
(Ages 4-8) This book is a classic! So classic in fact that it was one of my husband's favorites when he was younger. This book is a great read-aloud. (And, the illustrator- Jan Brett- is one of my favorite children's book author/illustrators of all time!)



How Do I Love You?
(Ages 4-8) This book has rhyming text, which G seems to prefer. This was the book I bought her for her first Valentine's day last year. This book is a great read-aloud and I really enjoy the illustrations.This book is simple enough for young children to be able to memorize and 'read' on their own.



I Love You Through and Through
(Ages 4-8) This book is very similar to How Do I Love You?, but the main character is a little boy. This book is written with rhyming text as well, which makes it a great read-aloud and predictable for little listeners.





Fancy Nancy Heart to Heart
(Ages 4-8) I absolutely love anything Fancy Nancy! Usually I am not a fan of books that also have stickers or other extraneous (that's another word for 'extra') things- but Fancy Nancy is too fabulous to pass up! This is one in a series of books about an adorable, authentic little girl. They are all great read-alouds with 'fancy' words and bright illustrations.




Valentine's Day Is...
(Ages 4-8) Gail Gibbons writes mostly non-fiction books on a variety of topics. This one in particular goes into the history of Valentine's Day. It is a bit wordy for a read-aloud with young children, but is engaging for school-aged kids. When I need a non-fiction book that is written in story form  Gail Gibbons is my go-to author.




Where is Baby's Valentine?
(Baby-Preschool) Karen Katz writes great books for infants and toddlers. Most of her books are interactive- this one is a lift the flap book. The illustrations are interesting for little ones, but not over-stimulating. If you have a toddler, build a library of Karen Katz books!


How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
(Ages 4-8) Miss G absolutely loves the 'How do Dinosaurs...' books! They are written with rhyming text and Mark Teague's illustrations are simple and engaging- even for little ones. These books also usually teach a lesson on good manners, too. Bonus!!




**Have you noticed that most of these books are recommended ages 4-8? That is pretty much the standard for all paperback picture books. Most paperbacks are appropriate for read-alouds, just check the amount of text on each page. If there is too much, it won't hold your young child's interest. (Looking at the font size is a good, quick indicator!)

So, it is virtually impossible for me to stop there- but I am going to have to. I could go on and on!! I hope you enjoy these ideas for your little valentine. Consider buying a book (preferably from a small independent bookstore) for your child this year to show how much you love them!!!

3 comments:

  1. I "LOVE" this post (no pun intended!). Thank you so much for the recommendations. I totally know what I'm going to get R for Valentine's Day. Thanks for the great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you noticed my 'initials'. :) What a good researcher you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We enjoy the dinosaur books at our house. Another cassic is "Love you Forever"...the book that starts with the Mom rocking the baby boy and ends with the grown man rocking his elderly mother...another one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete