Monday, November 22, 2010

A little background on 'Shared Reading'

Okay, it's been awhile since I blogged about anything. I think my brain needed a break after writing my Thesis. While I am in love with my paper and loved the process, it was hard work. Since finishing my Masters Degree I have been antsy to get back into writing and missing my classwork (yes, it's true!). So, I am hoping to get back to blogging as my creative and intellectual outlet.

I hope to get back in the swing of things again by writing a group of posts on 'Shared Reading': what it is, why it is important, etc.
So here goes-
What exactly is shared reading?? Let me begin by telling you what I define as shared reading (so you can understand my context). When I discuss shared reading in this post I am referring to shared parent-child reading. Some may call it 'lap reading'. Either way, it is a time when a parent or caregiver can sit down with a child and engage in reading a book together.

Shared reading also has it's place in the classroom. During shared reading at school your child may read a big-book along with the class, may choral read (everyone reads all together), echo read (one reader echos the other), whisper read (one reader reads out loud while the other whispers), or fill-in-the-gap read (the reader stops and has other readers fill in words). It could also mean taking turns reading text. All of these techniques are meant to model and resemble 'lap reading'. 

If teachers are modeling this type of reading, making it possible (in some form) in the classroom and extending it throughout the elementary years than there must be something to shared reading, right?!?

Well...there is!

Shared reading is great for many reasons. Here are a few:
  • The act of shared reading helps to create a healthy attachment and security with the caregiver or parent
  • During shared reading adults model reading skills to children (skills such as: fluency (how 'fluid' you sound when you read), intonation, re-reading, tracking print from left to right)
  • Shared reading helps children learn that reading is something that you can do with other people
  • Shared reading is an enjoyable experience, helping children to have a positive feeling towards reading
  • Children hear lots of language during shared reading which will in turn help them learn the language and then read it later
  • Shared reading is something you can do with children of all ages (they don't necessarily have to sit in your lap!) With older children try reading a chapter book, magazine, or poetry together.
  • Shared reading can help struggling readers become more confident in themselves as readers

This is just an introduction to the topic, which I hope to expand upon in future posts.
Now I've given you plenty of reasons to read at home with your little (or not-so-little) ones!!!

Next to come...
Ideal books for shared reading
Techniques for shared reading
Personal stories of shared reading experiences
...and more!!!





1 comment:

  1. I look forward to reading about techniques and your book suggestions! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love to read your blog. I am home until January and am out of the school loop for a while! Nice to read something applicable to my career.

    ReplyDelete