Friday, September 11, 2009

What is with the title?

So, I'm not THE reading teacher mommy (I don't know how you win that title, but if it involves naming children's books by simply looking at their cover...I could possibly win!)- but everything about me is a reading teacher/mommy. It really is what I am at the core of my being. I am the one in the 'kid conversation' (where us parents talk all about how our little ones are crawling, teething, talking) that will continue to delight in the fact that my child picked up a book and 'read' it today. I am the mom that will suggest to you new titles to read with your little one...whether you ask or not. I just can't help it! I love to read, love to read with kids, and want you to do the same!
The title of this blog suggests some of the roles I have in life. I am a teacher. I am a reading teacher. I am a mom. One cannot exist without the other- it's just who I am! And, I designate reading teacher as being something different than a teacher. Don't get me wrong- all teachers teach reading, that is the truth. However, not all teachers have a serious and infectious passion for reading that they want to pass on to their students (I kind of made it sound like a disease, didn't I?). Yes, that makes me (and other teachers like me) a little crazy- but trust me, the kids get it (even if adults don't sometimes). :)
Along with being a teacher/reading teacher/mom, I am also a student. I am currently finishing up my Master's Degree at Butler University in Indianapolis, IN. I have a strong interest in family literacy and children's motivation towards reading. In my research I hope to inspire families to read together and see reading for what it is: an experience.

So, I created this blog to record my journey through life as I take on these 3 different roles, and I'm sure, others to come...

3 comments:

  1. Ang,
    I need recommendations for Ashley, she is turning 9 on saturday and I wanted to buy her some books for her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia's Notebook by Marissa Moss (This is one in a series of about 20,I think...and these seem like her personality.)

    Beverly Cleary Books (Ramona series or Ralph the mouse series- Ralph S. Mouse, The Mouse and the Motorcycle)

    The tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo, or Because of Winn Dixie by the same author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...just a few thoughts. I will keep thinking though! :)

    ReplyDelete